Friday, January 21, 2011

seattle bound...

In a couple of weeks, I will make my return to Seattle.  I have to admit that I consider Washington state my adopted home and I was sad to leave there a year or so ago.  When I left, Week on the Street and The Waiverly Projects were just a glimmer in the back of my mind, but I had put them aside for concerns of family and a new life in the south. 
I am going back for personal reasons, and I had debated about whether or not to address this, but those reasons tie into everything that we are trying to do with these projects.  My sister lives in Seattle.  She is the third oldest of my eight brothers and sisters and is mentally challenged.  For as long as I can remember, she has moved around on her own and done whatever she wanted.  She is a survivor and to be so given the physical and mental challenges she has faced is inspirational. 
So, because of her, we are going nationwide and tackling all new issues as well as the ones with which we started.  She has been homeless and lived on the streets of L.A. She has been immersed in a system that has warehoused the homeless and the mentally challenged. 
She is beginning a battle with breast cancer, something that I could not even imagine dealing with.  So how many people, homeless and otherwise have had to deal with all of these issues, all at once.  To imagine the strength and bravery that it takes to deal with one of these issues, let alone ALL of them, all at once. 

So while I am in Seattle, I will be doing a Week on the Street.  I will look at all of these issues, and most of all I will visit my sister and support her in any way that I can.

So please check in with this blog as we look at these issues and help us make a difference.

1 comment: