Sunday, February 6, 2011

The long spaces...

On May 1, I am leaving for a nationwide bike ride that will take me and anyone else who wishes to join me across the United States, from Charleston, S.C. to Seattle, WA along the lower half of the U.S. for nearly 5000 miles.  My problem with long rides has always been the long spaces in between "things". 
   I was always fascinated with triathlons and especially the Iron Man, where they would have long stretches of riding where it is nothing but lava fields and baking sun.  Those times, I thought, would be the times when one would have to really be a competitor.  Those were the times when I thought that people would have to lock down and focus on where they were going and how fast they needed to get there.  Those times, were the times when it would have to be more mental and emotional than anything else.   It will be those long spaces, when we are separated from the pack and the only ones we are competing against are ourselves, that we will have to deal with and that we are dealing with now, in day to day life.
   That is what we are dealing with now...the long spaces.  These long spaces are the times that we have to do what needs to be done to get to the finish line.  So, I have not been posting for a couple of weeks, but rest assured this is in preparation for the things to come.  The compost is cooking, we are working out and getting in shape for the nationwide bike ride, the A.I.R. project with documentary  is underway...these are the lava fields before the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment