Thursday, November 11, 2010

"How are you doing?" Do we really want an answer?...Day 11, 19 days to go.

 

"Hey, how are you doing?"
I say this so many times and in response to every greeting that I get.  I rarely think about what it actually means.  It is often such a rote, rhetorical response but lately, I have been considering what it actually means and what it actually means to say this to a person who has no home and no food. 
Someone asked me this today and they really meant it.  They knew what I was doing and why, and they asked me with genuine care.  I explained everything that I was going through and how it really feels to be homeless.  It is uncomfortable and not just in the way that makes one mildly annoyed but in a way that could potentially drive one crazy.
The military uses sleep deprivation and temperature extremes to test its soldiers, and moreover to torture inmates.  I am not trying to make light of the situation, but try going two or three days with a light on in the room with the window open so you can hear the traffic all around.  Then wake up at 5 a.m., knowing that you have to be away from your position before the "enemy" can see you.
I have now done both and it is really eerie to see the similarities between being in the Army on an FTX, and being homeless.  Sleep deprivation, carrying everything you own/need on your back, changing position for fear of being discovered.  Homelessness tests you and makes you hyper aware of your surroundings.
So, the next time someone says, "hello" to me, I will make sure to take stock before I simply reply, "how are you doing?" so flippantly, because when we ask, we also have to ask if we really want an answer.

6 comments:

  1. Good evening sir. My name is Kenneth Brown and I am super excited about what you have decided to do. My wife and I would like to meet you. We are Christians and we would like to know if you believe that Jesus is the Son of God? I have to believe you do because what you are doing is so Christ-like! We commend you on your task and we will pray for you daily throughout this task. Run the race, finish the course, God has your reward! If you have a number where we can reach you that would be great! Look forward to hearing from you!!! God Bless, keep and protect you! Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. I saw the segment about what you're doing to try to eradicate homelessness in Atlanta on 11Alive news tonight. I am amazed by what you're doing - and saddened that it amazes me, but that's a whole 'nother story, addressed fairly well by Kenneth, above - and I just wanted to say that I applaud your audaciousness. It takes a great deal of courage to step out in faith and do what you are doing. You and your project - and the men and women you're coming into contact with every day - will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I saw your story on 11Alive tonight and I want you to know I am greatful for what you are doing and praise you for not only wanting to change the world, but raising your daughter to feel the same way and encourage you. I have feared homelessness and have been lost in thought for what I could do to help those worse off than me. I want you to know you have changed my life, emensely, and I follow you whole heartedly!! And when your coffee shop opens I want to be there. In my eyes, you are the hero we need. Sincerely, Mandie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also saw your story on 11Alive and was impressed by what you are doing. I'm surprised, too, that you had only raised $200 so far. For those of us who want to keep track of your progress, could you maybe put a "ticker" or something similar that lets us know how you're doing? ($XX raised -- $XX to go)

    You are an inspiration and I think what you're doing is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel that everything happens for a reason. I know I came across the article about you because there is a purpose behind it. I would like you to take a minute and read something I plan on broadcasting everywhere about a similar cause.

    My letter is too long to post in a comment here. Is there an email address or mailing address I could forward it to?

    I think you are doing a great thing and you will change many lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your comments, sorry it has taken me so long to respond. Please contact me at Elimontgomery@live.com or look me up on facebook under Elijah Montgomery. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete