Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Is Not Sexy...Day 10, 20 to go

Last night, I was walking away from my television intereview and I was thinking about how much this experience has changed me and where it is headed.  I was struck by who I was at one point.  Well dressed and clean cut...Dapper, even.  There has been a definite change in me and I am no longer "sexy".
I was informed that the interview was not going to air that night and may sometime in the future. There is an addage in the news business, "if it bleeds, it leads" and there was nothing exigent about what I was doing, so I did not make it on TV.  The irritation came in the fact that there are people suffering and there is a need and we can do something about it.  The problem is, that it is not "sexy" enough. 
This is hard work.  There are people who do this, day in and day out.  For those who work in this business, it is hard work.  The day to day things that people do to help people is hard work and because it is boring, it does not get on TV.  Unless someone is getting shot, or set on fire, they do not make the news.
Jon Shirek is a nice guy and made me feel completely at ease during my interview and truly cared about what was going on.  I think that I got the point of what I was trying to do across on camera.  i was disheveled and tired, but that is to be expected.  The problem is, that there was nothing happening.  The day to day of what we are trying to do is not sexy.  Does someone have to set themselves on fire to get the point across?



But this is why I do what I do...because someone "lives" here.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure you know this by now, but it aired tonight. You are a beautiful human being, and as for your story...brother, it was super-sexy. In fact, I'd say there's nothing in this world right now "sexier" than an honest man who is trying to make it a better place to live. By the end of the segment, I was in tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Elijah,

    A segment on your effort aired this morning on 11Alive; my wife and I caught it while working out (in our warm, comfortable home...yeah, I see the irony). Just wanted to encourage you...you are doing a good thing and I hope you succeed both at getting the message across, and at starting your coffee house. I can tell you've already succeeded at personalizing your own convictions!

    Grace & peace!

    ReplyDelete