Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Taking Thanksgiving Off...Day 24 continued...

I hope that everyone is enjoying their turkey day.  When I first started this, I did not give a lot of thought to what I would be doing on Thanksgiving.  To be honest, the thought didn't even really cross my mind when I committed to this. Most Thanksgivings I can be found in front of the TV full of food and happy.  Not so this year.
   Still, I feel as though I have worked really very hard and if nothing else, I am going to take the day off and reflect on what has happened, and what we would like to see happen.  I have no doubt that we can make Winnie Mae's happen.  Using companies like Fare Start (http://www.farestart.org/) and Street Bean Espresso (http://www.streetbeanespresso.org/)  as templates, we can do the same with Winnie Mae's.
   The major thing to keep in mind is that we are not reinventing the wheel.  What we would like to do is not incredibly unusual and it has been done a thousand times before.  When we add the relatively new component of hiring homeless and at risk youth, we see that something as basic as a first job, can make a world of difference in a person's life. 
   So, that being said, we want and need your support to get this done.  Please help. "Never doubt that a small group of committed individuals can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

3 comments:

  1. Hi. I just saw your story on the news. I would like to help. I don't have money, but I have time and resources. My family isn't far from homelessness, we are barely surviving. I do, however, believe in what you are doing, and your reason for doing it. I set out to do the same thing about two years ago, not as drastically as you. Because my efforts were unsuccessful, I decided to enroll in college to get a degree in Counseling and Human Services with the hope that this would help my effort in helping teens get off the street and get a leash on life with job/life skills. Please inform me of how I can help. Much respect to you and your family. It is obvious that you are doing a GREAT job as a parent. You should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to help as well, donate my time and efforts. I too was thinking of how can we get our black men especially off the streets and working. I see too many of them in the downtown Atlanta area and dont know why they are not getting anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all of your comments. Sorry I have not responded until now, but please keep spreading the word. there is a lot to be done!

    ReplyDelete